Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Celebrating Queerness" and "Jesus Isn't Enough": Another Sad Walk Through Luther Seminary

By Pastor Tom Brock of pastorsstudy.org. Facebook users can follow Pastor Brock by going here and twitter users here.
I took another walk today through my alma mater, the ELCA's Luther Theological Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota (for my first sad walk see my Facebook posting from October 8, 2013).  Four posters were up promoting a retreat for "Lutheran rostered leaders, seminarians, and candidates who publicly identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trangender, or questioning."  One participant called it "a celebration of so many points of queerness in my life."  Another said "I get to be myself unapologetically and enthusiastically." 

Another poster promoted an event to be held at Hamline University entitled "Becoming Buddhist When Jesus Isn't Enough: A Third Wave Womanist Negotiation of Race, Gender, and Religion."  Keep in mind that posters cannot go up at Luther without the approval of the seminary.  One wonders why Luther's administration would allow such a blasphemous poster. 

I happened to bump into a friend of mine on Luther's staff.  He told me he is retiring years early from Luther.  He explained that after the ELCA's 2009 decision to ordain practicing homosexuals, financial giving to Luther has gone way down.  Attendance is also down.

I couldn't help but think of Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived:  God is not mocked, for whatever one shows, that will he also reap."

Please pray that many, many will leave the ELCA.

In Christ,

Pastor Tom



from: http://www.exposingtheelca.com/1/post/2014/04/celebrating-queerness-and-jesus-isnt-enough-another-sad-walk-through-luther-seminary.html

2 comments:

  1. Cannot say I am surprised. The ELCA prefers political activism over obedience to God.

    May you and your family have a blessed Easter as we celebrate our risen Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too my friend, Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete